Re: hot mg's in New Mexico

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: hot mg's in New Mexico
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 10:28:30 +0800
~ Just a thought on cooling down MG's:  I don't know what year this was done
~ in exactly, but the later B's had their oil coolers *underneath* the
~ radiator, which necessitated the fitting of a front valence with vents cut
~ in them (at least I think they did... or was it the twin cam MGA?)

The later B lower valence does have holes cut in it; I've never looked
to see why.  Perhaps someone with a post-75 car can enlighten us.
~
~ A more radical move: could you cut louvers in the hood?  It certainly
~ wouldn't be original, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work or look nice in
~ its own right.  Cut the louvers out of some wreck [...] the MGA engine bay

A thought: Wonder how it would look to get those little chrome ovals
that show up at the back of the MGA's engine bay and fit *them* to
the rear of the B's bonnet?

Also, of course, most body shops will punch louvers for a nominal
fee if you bring them the bonnet.  I've thought of this myself,
along with fitting an NACA duct in front of the carbs and building
a cool-air box as an extension of the heat shield between the
carbs and the header.  Ought to be worth 2 to 3 bhp on a warm day...

~ In the final analysis, what a fellow jag owner once said in response to my
~ worry of running too hot: "Is it boiling over?"  "No."  "Then it isn't
~ running too hot."