TR8 differentials

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR8 differentials
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 08:27:56 -0500
I've already asked this question on the TR8list and no one there really
knew so it's time to take up BIGGER bandwidth and ask the advice of
team.net!

I've got a TR8 with a noisy differential.  It started out as a low grumble
almost a year ago.  With the top down, you couldn't even tell :-)  However,
the grumble has gotten louder, almost to the point of howling at me.
Like a certain TR7 I used to own, I figured it must be bearings so I
ordered a kit and replaced the rear bearings (car has 75k miles).  No
change (sigh).  So, I assume something in that black lump back there
isn't happy.  It sounds like bearing noise but I can't really tell.
I haven't had the rear plate off yet but I DO know that there's plenty
of fluid back there.

TRF hasn't rebuilt a TR7/8 diff yet.  Woody Cooper (I'm told) doesn't
do it either;  he just swaps.  Question:  Can any competent transmission
place pull apart a diff and rebuild it?  Is it common?  I've read the
ROM and it looks like something I could do if I had all the right tools
(which I don't) and a LOT of patience.  However, at this point in time,
I'd rather spend time on my TR6 and just pay someone to make the 8's diff
right again.

Advice?  Suggestions?

Thanks,
jim