THE BIG REBUILD!!

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: THE BIG REBUILD!!
From: gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory Petrolati)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 08:15:13 -0500

        Gentlepersons,

        Over the past couple of years I have noticed a drop in com-
        pression and an increase in oil consumption in the Green
        Man, my TR4. After playing real hard with the beastie it
        seems that there is a rebuild in my future (probably when
        the snow flies. True I could "get by" with a ring and big
        end bearing replacement, but I figure this is an excellent
        time to replace all the things I didn't replace when facing
        the financial
        (oops)  wall back while diong the car the first time.

        This time around I'm getting the block bored out to fit the
        "big bore" 77mm pistons whic will come with a balance set of
        rods. I'll be trading the Faspec 3/4 cam for a somewhat milder
        version. I'm also replacing the tappets (I recground them the
        first time through), and oil pump, and I'm thinking about a
        Mallory dual point distributor to replace the one I recon-
        ditioned.

        I've been pondering whether to get rid of the "slinger seal"
        Trs come with and replacing it with the lip seal from British
        Frame and engine. I'm replacing the head studs as well as the
        nuts and washers and getting a 77MM head gasket. I think that
        about covers it... Question is... did I miss anything? Is there
        something else I should consider?  The Green Man has been a real
        stomper of a car for me, but it could be a bit more tractable
        for just driving about.

                Greg "That's not a leak, its just a Gravity Fed Flow-
                        Through Lubrication System" Petrolati

--
        "Three Breaks for tea and home before dark!"

    Greg Petrolati                 gpetrola@firefly.prairienet.org
        1962 TR4