Re: Spitfire/Midget 1500 clutch pins & Hypoid

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire/Midget 1500 clutch pins & Hypoid
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 10:33:31 EDT
My Spit had the pin drop out in 1977 (4 years old). I assumed that the
clutch was bad (I had just shipped the car over from England, and the
shipping company broke many other parts) so I pulled the trans out to
replace the whole mess.

When I got the trans out and on the floor, I found that the pivot pin
had dropped out, and all I could think of was "What the h*** do I do
now"?  I was in the Auto Hobby Shop on the base, so I went through the
boxes of spare parts and found a bolt (head bolt actually) that was
the right length and diameter.  I pressed the bolt in, replaced the
clutch, etc., (the trans was out after all) and out everything back in.

It has been that way for seventeen years now, I even bought the right
parts, and they are sitting in my bins of auto parts.

What is this about hypoid oil in trans? Triumph specs hypoid 90 in the
Spitfire 'box.

Doug Mitchell