RE: Steering wheel repair

To: "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107" <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Subject: RE: Steering wheel repair
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 10:37:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 Jun 1994, Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107 wrote:

>       I've seen a couple of notes floating around about repairing cracked >
steering wheels.  I've got instructions that go something like filing each
> crack, filling with an epoxy, sanding it all smooth, then painting the
whole > rim with black epoxy paint.  The last step seems to be my problem.
Up here > in Canada there doesn't seem to be anywhere that sells expoxy
spray paint > (canned stuff).  Anyone else up here have any ideas?  Maybe
even something > else that will work just as well. >

I used acrylic lacquer on my much repaired bugeye wheel.  After 2 years,
it still looks fine.  To avoid lots of polishing, thin lacquer with a
slow-drying thinner (also called high gloss or high temperature thinner).
The only potential disadvantage of lacquer is that it tends to be a bit
brittle, and may eventually crack because of the wheel flexing.  There are
additives for paint that make paint flexible (required for flexible
bumpers).  I have never checked to see if these are available for acrylic
lacquer; it is so easy to work with that I plan to simply refinish the
wheel if it deteriorates.  Lacquer would probably not work on a soft
plastic squishy wheel such as the Spitfire wheels that have figured in
recent discussions.

Ray Gibbons