'66 Spit: Bell housing/engine plate gap by starter?!?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '66 Spit: Bell housing/engine plate gap by starter?!?
From: pat@sbctri.sbc.com (Pat niemeyer)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 09:46:58 -0500 (CDT)

Ack!

I went to replace the starter on my '66 Spitfire when I noticed that
there is a large gap between the engine plate and the clutch bell housing at
the point where it bulbs out to fit the starter (large enough for me to stick
a screwdriver in and touch the starter's shaft even when everything is bolted
on properly).

I have to assume that there must have been a gasket or something here that
has completely disintegrated...  It doesn't seem possible to me that it has
warped to this shape.

Can anyone tell me anything about this, or what the consequences might have
been of running the engine without this seal?

I am a semi-novice at this sort of stuff and when it gets to the inside of
the engine block or the transmission I'm clue-less.   I guess this means
that the area where the fly-wheel lives has had no seal for at least some
period of time.  Is this area normally receiving oil or supposed to be under
a vaccuum?

I have started to make an attempt to seal this gap with liquid gasket stuff...
Is there any chance that this might succeed, or am I completely screwed?

Pat