Re: THE BIG REBUILD!!

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: THE BIG REBUILD!!
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 09:46:40 -0700
In message <199406071315.AA05322@firefly.prairienet.org>  writes:

>       This time around I'm getting the block bored out to fit the
>       "big bore" 77mm pistons whic will come with a balance set of
>       rods.

I tried to let this slip by but I just couldn't.  May I assume you mean 87mm
pistons? The "small bore" was 83mm.  86 mm was standard on the TR4s and I'm
still not sure what all the big deal is of a piston a silly milimeter wider (but
mind you I have a set in my engine).  Someone is selling a larger piston, I
think 89mm, but it requires a bit of machinework & those who know about them are
not recomending them for the street (but not saying why).

 I'll be trading the Faspec 3/4 cam for a somewhat milder
>       version. I'm also replacing the tappets (I recground them the
>       first time through), and oil pump, and I'm thinking about a
>       Mallory dual point distributor to replace the one I recon-
>       ditioned.
>
>       I've been pondering whether to get rid of the "slinger seal"
>       Trs come with and replacing it with the lip seal from British
>       Frame and engine. I'm replacing the head studs as well as the
>       nuts and washers and getting a 77MM head gasket. I think that
>       about covers it... Question is... did I miss anything? Is there
>       something else I should consider?  The Green Man has been a real
>       stomper of a car for me, but it could be a bit more tractable
>       for just driving about.

I had a Mallary distributer on a V8 Ford back in the old days.  It was a real
pain to deal with the two sets of points.  I'd go for a stock TR distributer in
good condition.

You might want to chat with Ken Gilanders for a bit since it looks like you will
be dealing with him.  He probably knows as much about the TR engine as anyone
and he is willing to share that info.  Tell him what you have done and ask for
his recomendations for a more streetable rebuild.

>               Greg "That's not a leak, its just a Gravity Fed Flow-
>                       Through Lubrication System" Petrolati
>
> --
>       "Three Breaks for tea and home before dark!"
>
>     Greg Petrolati               gpetrola@firefly.prairienet.org
>       1962 TR4

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561