Re: '66 Spit: Bell housing/engine...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '66 Spit: Bell housing/engine...
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 14:46:36 EDT
Pat Niemeyer wrote:

Ack!

I went to replace the starter on my '66 Spitfire when I noticed that
there is a large gap between the engine plate and the clutch bell housing at
the point where it bulbs out to fit the starter (large enough for me to stick
a screwdriver in and touch the starter's shaft even when everything is bolted
on properly).

[other bits deleted...]

To the best of my knowledge, there is no seal or gasket missing, I know
that my '73 has the same thing, and I know that there aren't any parts
missing.

I'll check the parts book tonight and let you know for sure though.

Doug - the gap's always been there, I figured it was by design - Mitchell