Re: Austin Healey Paint

To: Olin Kane <okane@cscns.com>
Subject: Re: Austin Healey Paint
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 11:03:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 Jun 1994, Olin Kane wrote:

> I am restoring an Austin-Healey and want to paint it Primrose Yellow, an
> original A-H color. I visited one of two local auto paint stores today. They
> sell PPG auto paints. All I had was a picture of an A-H painted Primrose

Dear Olin,

My local Honda/BMW/Mercedes/Rover/Lexus/Nexus dealer is owned by a man who
loves expensive toys.  The minions in his shop suck up to him regularly by
dreaming up ever more elaborate toys to give to him.  This follows the
biblical prescription "To those that have, shall it also be given," or as
my more rural Missouri relatives put it, "them as has, gits."

Anyway, their latest present was a restored BMW Isetta.  The service
manager of the shop told me about the restoration, and said he got a
modern match for the original red from a paint service run by a paint
manufacturer (he thought it was PPG).  He gave me the number (216)
572-6100, which is in Akron, OH.  He said they would give you modern paint
codes (for their own paint, of course) that match antique colors.  He said
they were unfazed by a request to match a 1959 Isetta color.

If you try this, please email me and tell me the outcome.  I also have the
MGB restoration book Scott spoke of, and can look up color info in it for
you if you wish.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910