TR4 positive to negative ground conversion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: TR4 positive to negative ground conversion
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 18:01:30 +0100 (BST)
hi

I've just done this on my TR4. This subject has come up before,
specfically in late January when Jerry Kaidor (jerry@tr2.com)
wrote to the list:

> I wound up converting the car to negative ground, which was really easy.
> I switched the battery terminals, switched the coil primary terminals,
> and repolarized the generator.  It might be harder with a later car
> if it had, say, a solid-state tachometer.

Yes, it was that easy. I also had to swap the ammeter connections, and
that was it. Jerry & I exchanged email about this conversion some time
ago - thanks Jerry!

A question - why positive earth? Primitive rust prevention?

On a rusty theme I confess I've paid for the underside & sills of the
car to be sprayed with an Waxoyl-like glop. Parking it in some tall grass
later revealed a rectangular oily patch on the grass - a step up from
the usual oil drips!

Regards, Adrian (looking forward to a better radio in his TR4)
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk