I need tour ideas.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I need tour ideas.
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 13:51:40 EDT
I am newsletter editor for our local MG Car Club chapter (I'm still
not sure why I volunteered, but I did).  Last month during my usual
scramble for words to fill the pages, I found myself writing about the
possibility of my leading a tour in June.  The weekend of the 17th to
be precise.  Well, now the June newsletter is due and I need to put
the details of the tour in it.  The only problem is there are no
details at this point.  My original idea was to have an 1 1/2 to 2
hour tour (insert chorus of Giligans Island here) on Friday night as a
"Summer Solstice Tour (a few days early)".  I may push this back to
Saturday afternoon and have it end at another member's house where
he wants to host a party.

That seems reasonable enough to me.  The only problem is I've
never lead a tour and I've only been on one, so I need ideas.
Remember, this is Ohio where the cornfield and factory meet.  I'm sure
many of you have lead successful tours, what are some things you did
to make it interesting?  Some ideas I am toying with are "a run for
the border" either to Kentucky or Indiana, about an hour to either,
but I feel like we need some reason (besides the obvious, to kiss the
earth of God's country known as the 'Hoosier State') to go.  I suppose
we could call it a beer run (it is common thing among college students
in Ohio to head to Indiana to by beer, as it is significantly cheaper
there).  Or we could stay around Dayton and trace the roots of
Charles(?) Kettering, without whom we would still be crank starting
our cars and living without cash registers.

Any other tour ideas for places where scenery and twisty mountain
roads are not availible?

Bob "I'm never volunteering for anything again" Jones

p.s. Once I figure out what I am doing I will post the details here
and any SOLer is more than welcome to join us.  Dana's party is
basically going to be a "park your British car in his yard and go
swimming" type affair.