Re: Naming Cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Naming Cars
From: gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory Petrolati)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 12:48:43 -0500

        To All,

        Just to expand a tad on Scott's expansion concerning naming
        of our cars.

        My lady had a minor in Celtic mythology and has held forth
        on numerous occasions about the importance of names to our
        pagan forebearers. In the past the naming of a thing gave
        one ownership or power over it. This was BIG MAGIC. Naming
        our British mistresses seems not only fitting and proper, but
        indeed almost necesary! When it came time to name my TR4 I
        turned to my wife, Sjanna, for help with this task.

        "The car will name itself," she said, leaving me with wrench
        in hand in the middle of the garage. After the beast was back
        on the road I was treated to the wonders of actually driving
        my very own sportscar (I only had brief encounters with other
        peolpe's cars in my youth). For those of us who are blessed
        with a passion for earlier TRs know they are not the refined
        tourers. TRs are working class, real pagan British cars. If
        TRs were built during the Roman Empire, their drivers would
        have starched their hair a drove them naked (with their bodies
        dyed blue. When I talked to Sjanna about how the car drove, she
        said, "Well... It IS green... Why don't you call it the GREEN
        MAN, after the British spirit of the forrest?"

        The name stuck. I even think that once the car had a proper name,
        It seemed to run better... Silly, no?

                Greg "A nose by any other name would still smell" Petrolati

--
        "Three Breaks for tea and home before dark!"

    Greg Petrolati                 gpetrola@firefly.prairienet.org
        1962 TR4