LBC Emissions

To: "'SMTP:british-cars@autox.team.net mailings'" <british-cars@autox.team.net.mailings>
Subject: LBC Emissions
From: mike_israel@merck.com (Mike Israel)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 10:18:00 EDT
>I expect that we will fall in line with the
>Federal emissions requirements.  I guess that the air pump will need
>to be replaced.  If anyone on the list has _any_ spare components
>of the system (brackets, check valve, air rail etc.) and would
>like to swing a deal, please let me know.

The state of Pennsylvania is also planning to go to a new emissions test; I
think it is sometime next year.  Apparently vehicles will be placed on a
dyno and run at speed while emissions are collected in a bag for evaluation.
 This test will be conducted at state inspection stations of which there
will be something like 800 as opposed to the thousands of private stations
now in existence.  It should be a lot of fun waiting hours to get your car
tested.  Ironically large parts of PA have NO emissions testing so when you
move a few miles out of the metropolitan areas you see 73 Dodge Polaris
Wagons belching clouds of smoke legally.

My 77 Spit generally passes emissions after disconnecting a variety of
vacuum hoses, doing a few chants, and perhaps an ancient emissions dance.  I
am not sure how well it will fare with this new test or if it will be exempt
based on age.  One thing I have found is that the Spit generally goes
unnoticed even without an emissions sticker (done that, been there).  I
suspect that most law enforcement types assume the car is from the
pre-emissions testing era.  (Somewhere around '74 in PA).

Anyway, as emission reqs do become more stringent I would hope that TRF and
others start gearing up for production of various NLS components.  In the
case of my Spitfire the airpump works but the rail died when I replaced the
manifold and a replacement rail is non-existent.

At the same time it is a shame to have to go through all this hassle for a
vehicle which is kept in a proper state of tune and travels less than 1,000
miles per year.

Regards,

                    Mike Israel
                       mike_israel@merck.com