brake fluid etc

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: brake fluid etc
From: "James Fuerstenberg" <jfuerstenberg@zz-link.dcmdc.dla.mil>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 09:11:51 cdt
     just a note.  DOT 3 fluid works fine.  Although I use Castrol LMA in
     my street cars, I use DOT3 Wilwood 570 in my race mini. It works
     GREAT!

     It has a high dry boiling point, but low wet boiling point. This is of
     no consequence, since I bleed the brakes prior to each race. I have
     noticed no deterioration of seals...except the normal deterioration
     from getting the brake fluid real hot during braking from 115 mph
     every lap (at least at the long tracks).  The mini does not have real
     large rotors to dissipate heat (7.5").

     Some racers use Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid (originally designed for
     Lincoln Land Bar..I mean Town Cars.  It is a DOT 3 and cheaper than
     the Wilwood.  I am pretty happy with the Wilwood and another $10-12
     per race on brake fluid is a fraction of an RCU. (RCU or race car unit
     of spending=$100).

jim

jfuerstenberg@zz-link.dcmdc.dla.mil

"It has been said that motor racing shares in common with sex
the distinction of being one of the most popular, most maligned
and least understood of human activities."

Charles Beaumont and William F. Nolan from "Omnibus of Speed"