Rebuilding lever-arm shocks

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Rebuilding lever-arm shocks
From: todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 12:49:51 +0600
Didn't think it would happen to _me_...

I was grateful, when I got my MGB from Mum, that the lever shocks were all
working as advertised.  I had noticed the steep charges in Moss et. al. for
replacing these little wonders, and made a mental note of the shop manual's
claim of non-rebuildability.  Well, it turns out that 20 years and 99K miles
have reduced my left front shock to a glorified hinge.

So what's the big deal with these?  If Moss and Vicky Brit can rebuild them,
why can't I?  After all, they bolt right on/off, and they're not exactly
technological wonders.  Anybody know how to beat the system on this one?

I guess my "Don't take no for an answer" attitude, brought to life by the
Clinton Administration, has bled over to MG maintenance.

-todd
todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil

'74 MGB               99K mi
'84 VW Rabbit Diesel 176K mi (broken timing belt; immobile)
'84 Volvo 245GL      170K mi
'85 Nishiki Prestige custom  (not ridden these days; make an offer)

"People said it because other people said it.  They did not know why it
was being said and heard everywhere.  They did not give or ask for
reasons."
                      - Ayn Rand, from _Atlas Shrugged_