Re: Dolomite Sprint

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dolomite Sprint
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 10:39:30 BST

Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU> asks:

        Subject: Re: TR7s and 8's (long)

        does anyone have any production statistics regarding Dolomite Sprints?
        By this I mean: 1. how many were manufactured 2. were there many
variants?
        3. are engine/transmission combinations readily available?

Can't offer you any hard facts, just blather: The Dolomite Sprint was _very_
common in the UK in the 70s. They will have made tens of thousands. It was UK
Saloon Car Champion for a number of years driven by Andy Rouse, Tony Dron and
others.
The basic Dolly engine, as also supplied to SAAB, was 1850cc.
It may have been taken out to 2 litres before or after the
Sprint head was fitted. The Sprint head I believe was SOHC, with rockers for
some
of the valves, a la H*nd*. The standard carburetion I think was twin Str*mb@#gs,
beloved by Triumph. The racing versions were tuned very effectively by
Broadspeed,
and had twin 45 DCOEs. There was only one road version of the engine, as far as
know, with 4-speed manual. Everyone expected the heads to be fitted to the
Stag, but
no, and to the TR7,but no, although I think the factory rally versions
campaigned by
Tony Pond had the Sprint engine. It was quite robust for its time - compared
with the
Escort RS1600 anyhow, which used to devour a cylinder head every 20,000 miles.

There should be lots of them in breaker's yards over here - I don't know how
they would
fit into a TR7 - the engine may be taller.

Cheers,

Paul.