Re: New Net Word

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumph@io.org
Subject: Re: New Net Word
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 17:07:04 +0800
~ To this day, if I'm not getting too far working on the car my father will
~ comment "You've been faffing about with that for half a day and you're no
~ farther ahead"
~
~ So, I'd like to suggest that while we use noddling, tinkering and such
~ for PRODUCTIVE light work that when real derision and lack of progress is
~ the messanger's intent that we reclaim this FAFFING term as a good choice.

Well, of course, anyone who's been around high-tech for sufficiently
long has probably heard the computer equivalent: frobbing.  The
original Hacker's Dictionary defines it in context with tweak and
twiddle, where tweak is a coarse adjustment and twiddle is a fine
adjustment, while frob is a more aimless manipulation.

On LBCs, for instance, you tweak the timing by grabbing the distributor
and turning it till you hear pinging.  You twiddle it by hooking up a
timing light and watching the marks in the strobe.  And of course, you
frob it by turning the little vernier knob, which has never actually
made a difference on any LBC I've ever owned.

Faffing sounds like a good term to represent a superset of various
different frobbing operations.  And actually, swork, noddle and faffle
are good verbs to represent the equivalent of tweak, twiddle and frob
when working on LBCs.  (Though I have to say that Swork, Noddle and
Faffle sounds like a Latvian law firm to me...)

--Scott