Re: Calling All Spit Experts!

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Calling All Spit Experts!
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 11:10:34 EST
 Larry, the bonnet for a 1970 should be as follows: side marker lamp/
 reflector units in amber (as on later Spits); NO letters; SPITFIRE
 *bullseye/roundel/whatever-you-want-to-call-it badge in the general
 area of where the H (in Triumph) would be if it had those letters. Also
 the bonnet properly would have a black plastic grille, which looks
 otherwise a lot like the Mk.3 metal grille. Note also that the boot lid
 does not have the TRIUMPH letters, either.

 Of course, like the 1970 vs. 1969 GT6+, the rear lights are all
 different as well. The 1970 features different (but now unobtainable)
 taillamp lenses, pairs each of red reflectors and amber signal
 lenses and a single central backup lamp on a large casting that also
 holds two small license plate lamps.

 Why BL went to such trouble for one model year is a mystery to me.

 NOTE: do NOT use Newton's Illustrated Triumph Buyer's Guide (at least
 not the original edition -- 1984?) as authoritative for a 1970
 Spitfire!!!!!! He was so far off it's laughable. I know. I was at the
 Long Island VTR convention in 1983, where he got many of his photos,
 and I remember seeing the car he shot -- a perfect half 1969, half
 1970 Spitfire!

 Andy Mace
 amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov