removing wire wheel hubs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: removing wire wheel hubs
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 09:31:25 CDT
Hi guys and gals,

Last night I was removing the wire wheels from a friends parts car but couldn't
find how to remove the spline hubs. I undid the 4 bolts so that the splined
bit rotates freely, but couldn't see how to pull it off. Inside the splined hub
there was a grease cap, with a threaded bolt protruding out of it and a nut
on the end. Does this have to come off? Do I need to rent a 'hub puller'
to pull them off? I didn't even look at the rear wheels....could somebody
enlighten me as to how to remove the hubs from the rear as well?

I'm also assuming that replacing my disk wheel hubs with the splined hubs and
wire wheels shouldn't be a problem. Is this a accurate assumption??

Cheers

Marcus

P.S. The parts car is a 68 (?) Sprite owned by Rory at rory@wri.com. He
needs a rebuilt ribbed tranny for his Moggy thou'. He has plenty-o parts
to BARTER with (good 1098cc motor, tranny which jumps out of gear, carbs,
radiator, rear axle etc etc)!! Cut him a deal!