Re: Removing Wire Wheel Hubs

To: "Marcus Tooze" <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Removing Wire Wheel Hubs
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 15 Jun 1994 09:07:46 U
                      RE>Removing Wire Wheel Hubs

I'll let someone else who's more familiar with wire wheels go into the
details, but I think you do need to remove the grease cap from the front.
There's a special tool, but I've seen several articles on making one by
welding a nut to an extension of some sort to reach inside and pull the cap
off.

As for the rear wheels, getting the splined hubs off should just be a matter
of removing the bolts.  HOWEVER, I believe the axles (half shafts) are
slightly different lengths for wire v. disk wheels.  I think the disk wheels
have longer shafts.  This means a lot of folks end up cutting about a half
inch off of the splined end to make them fit.  It's not a good fix.  If you
can get the half shafts along with the hubs you'll be better off by far.