Aftermarket Electronic ignition

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aftermarket Electronic ignition
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 00:23:03 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Aftermarket Electronic ignition) File(JUN14943.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 06-14-1994 .. 23:29:39

>Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 10:27:42 BST
>From: Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
>Subject: Aftermarket Electronic ignition
>

>John Benke asks:
><<<<<< I'm relatively new to electronic
>ignitions, particularly retro-fits. Does anyone out there have any tips
>on the best replacement make/model to purchase? Best source? Tuning tips? etc.
>>>>>>>
>IMHO, junk it and go back to the original points. Given basic maintenance
>they are reliable and effective!

Well. THat may be Simon's humble opinion BUT IMHO keep it.

I have put the Allison systems on several cars (now Mallory I think)
and they have made a marked improvement over points every time.

In the original post John said that he thought the Elect. Egnition
was the problem cause he couldn't see any light from the LED.
Well, every system I have ever seen used I.R. LEDs so you wouldnt
see any light. You might want to check further before blaming the
LED.

Also, when I bougght my last Allison unit I think it came with a
lifetime warranty. If that is what you have you may be able to
get it repaired/replaced for free.

In any case I would recomned that you not go back to the points
unless you are some sort of purist. That egnition system sure
turned my "open the hood an fiddle with the point to run" TR-3
into a "just get in and start it up" daily driver.

Louis Poche' - POCHE@music.loyno.edu