Berry in Prague

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Berry in Prague
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 23:50:10 PDT
Well, there's not much britcar content here but y'all may find it
interesting nonetheless.  I'm in Prague, the capital of the Czech
Republic, for a networking conference.
  Yesterday I visited the Narodni Tecknici Muzeum (National Technical
Museum) where they have a collection of old automobiles.  THere are a
bunch of old Skodas, some of which look like pretty reasonable
vehicles.  THere's a FOrmula II LOtus (This is the britcar content)
and a pair of Bugattis, but the winners are the two very bizzarre
mid-fifties Tatras.  THey look like a Check Barris wet dream executed
by a faceless corporation with no imagination.  I have pictures I can
scan and post later  if anyone cares...
  On the streets there are mostly Skodas and Opels, with occasional
Ladas and Trabant's (and yes, they really are that ugly!)  No sports
cars I've seen so far, or dropheads of any flavour.

Car's aside, Prague is a lovely city, steeped in history.  THe Czech
beer is good and cheap (if you don't buy it in the hotel bar).
Budweiser is *different* here! It's not the ANheuser-Busch glop, it's
the original pure quill good stuff.  ANd of course, Pilsner Urquell
basically invented Lager six hundred years ago and still make it.
Bohemian cut crystal is pretty cheap and very lovely.

Having a wonderful tie, wish you were here,
   --berry