bolts and nuts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: bolts and nuts
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 08:36:10 -0800 (PST)
Along the recent thread concerning BSW, BSF, etc. fasteners:

I remember when rebuilding my TR4 back in the early '70s, I would take
worn out bolts to the local (American) auto part store to get
replacement bolts.  I would tell the counter guy that I needed a 3/8
by 2 inch bolt (or whatever) and show him the old one.  They would
always demand to know what type of car the bolt was used on.  When I
would tell them it was a Triumph, they would usually hand it back and
mutter something about "we don't sell no G**-D**n metric bolts".  I
would then hand it back to them insisting that the bolt was not
metric.  They would go to the parts drawers "just to show me" and come
back muttering somethine along the lines of "Gee, it *is* an American
bolt".  I would usually point out to them that "No, it's an English
(mesuring system) bolt"...

When I recently restored the Lotus, I just mail ordered large
quantities of aircraft quality bolts from a supply house...

Tim Mullen          mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov    Chantilly, VA
72 Elan Sprint      "For the few who know the difference"