starting motor after x years

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: starting motor after x years
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 13:33:41 CDT
I'm planning on trying to get the GT6 motor started this weekend. I've bought
all the necasary tune up bits (ignition and all filters). The car isn't
connected up electrically. Is it safe to apply 12 volts straight from a battery
across the coil? Also, i'm going to have to do the same thing for the starter
motor. I'm assuming that if i connect the -ve to the engine, then a pos. wire
to the coil, and another pos. wire to touch the starter motor contact I will
be in business.

I'm going to hook a detergent bottle straight up to the fuel pump with fuel in
it. So, gas...spark...and hopefully compression! Anybody got any tips for
starting a motor which hasn't been ran in eons?

Marcus

P.S. does a GT6 use 20-50 oil, also, what oil goes in thedashpots of ZS carbs?