Re: starting motor after x years

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: starting motor after x years
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 12:02:16 +0800
~ I'm going to hook a detergent bottle straight up to the fuel pump with fuel in
~ it. So, gas...spark...and hopefully compression! Anybody got any tips for
~ starting a motor which hasn't been ran in eons?

You might want to see if the crank still turns first...

Likewise, you should give a quick look down the spark-plug hole for the
cylinder(s) that were left open all these years, just to make sure that
you haven't got a family of mice living in there.  While the plugs are
out is when you should check to see if the motor actually turns in the
block; if it freezes in place, it's usually because the rings have rusted
to the cylinder bore in the open cylinder(s).  If that's the case, use a
spray of penetrating oil (see below) in the cylinder, let it stand for
a while, and then try to rock the engine till it turns over.

~ Marcus
~
~ P.S. does a GT6 use 20-50 oil, also, what oil goes in thedashpots of
~ ZS carbs?

I'd be more interested in using cheap 10W-30 oil, because I would drain
it shortly after the oil gets hot and keep flushing the system, if you
will, with new cheap oil.  Light, cheap oil too -- there may be some
clogging in oil passages from having stood for so long, and a lighter
oil will get through them more easily when cold than a 20W-50 will.