RE: Spit Chokes and Soft top

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spit Chokes and Soft top
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 13:13:29 PDT
John,
Since I am on the digest, you may have already received a satisafactory reply
to your question about the jets not returning on your HS2's.  Here's my $.02
  The small pozi-driv screws (1 each) that fasten the jet plastic body to
the actuating link, ride inside metal sleeves.  Depending on the design of
your particular actuating link pivot, either screw preload or sleeve-to-link
clearance allows for pivoting to occur.
  If this pivots freely, check the brass jet tube for scoring.  Are you using
new jet bodies and metering needles?
  Also check to see that the torsion (sic) spring that forces the return of
the choke is not binding at the carb body.

Triumph tops are more difficult to put on than MG tops, because you get to
fit the snaps to the rear yourself.  After you've fit the snaps, raise the
top frame and lay the top over it.  Put a mini space heater in the car and
roll the windows up.  Have a beer or two.  After the top is good and warm,
note the centered chalk mark on the front edge, or make your own (depending
on how many beers you've had).  Measure the center of the top frame and mark
it and also the windshield frame.  Apply Contact glue to the vinyl and header
bar, then pull and stick with medium-to-heavy tension, working from the center
out.
  After the rivets are installed on the header rail, carefully widen the seal
track with pliers and the seal will feed right in. Then you can re-compress the
sides of the seal track around the seal.

  I hope this helps you to avoid problems.

                         Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                         Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                         Washington State University   Pullman, Wash.
                         67 Spit-6 (Daily)    74 TR-6 (In Progress)