You know when it's British

Subject: You know when it's British
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 15:52:28 +1000 (EST)
G'day all,
  Some days you really know your car is British.  The weekend before
last I was trying to figure out the instrument wiring on my Rover SD1.
After some probing it offered up it's share of smoke somewhere in the
rear demister warning light circuit.  No amount of mirrors or torches
could find the break and you can't remove the instrument cluster
without disconnecting the face vent a multitude of individual bulb
wires.  Not wanting to pull the dash at this stage I gave up.

  Last weekend I was just putting things back together when I noticed
some of the parts were wet.  I'd picked them up from the passenger
footwell.  In a mad panic I realised the front passenger footwell was
swimming in coolant.  It takes a lot for it to soak through the foam
backed carpet.  A couple of weeks ago I'd replaced all the coolant
hoses, new carburettors, inlet manifold and replaced the 71C thermostat
with the proper 88C thermostat.  All this was too much for either the
silicon around the heater pipes or the heater core.  Now, nigh on the
shortest day of the year, I have to bypass the heater core and pull
the dash anyway.  At this time also my other car is in high demand so
the SD1 is to cease it's slumber of two months and enter daily service
again.  Sigh....

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker