re: the chrome thingy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: the chrome thingy
From: Richard Olearczyk <ollie@rcp.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 13:19:43 GMT
The chrome thingy which sits in the wind-screen rubber plays a rather important
job, it is designed to spread the rubber seal so that it is tight against the
glass and the body such that it doesn't leak. (Trust me, my MG Midget hardtop
has a similar arrangement, but is missing the chrome thingy and only doesn't
leak after much application of silicon rubber sealant).

There is a special tool to perform the job effectively, consisting of a wire
rubber spreader with wheel viewed end-on thus:-  (Bad diagram follows....)

Press
\|/     /_#_\    # = plastic wheel
       /  #  \
      /___^___\  ^ = Chrome thingy

The wire spreads the rubber whilst the wheel presses the chrome thingy down.
There
is a proper tool, but you may be able to knock up something suitable
(bodge-it-and-fix-it Limited.)

--
Richard Olearczyk  (ollie)    |    RCP Ltd.,