Re: runnins sans air filter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: runnins sans air filter
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 17:16:07 -0700
>  ~ so how come those cars get by without an air filter?  How come little bits
>
> ~ of sand and grit and such don't get sucked in and gouge the heck out of the
>
> ~ cylander walls, rings, valves, seats, guides etc???
>
> They do.  In fact, it's even worse in cars for which the intakes are
> inside an engine compartment; what happens there is that little bits
> of rubber from modern race tires get wrapped around bits of grit and
> sand, and the resulting compound makes an almost perfect grinding
> paste when heated up inside an engine.
>
> In the old days (and probably some new days, too), the car builders
> often decided that the minute increase in speed that running unfiltered
> gave was worth the cost of an extra ring/valve job between races.  Once
> again: Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?
>
> ~ How come all the rest
> ~ of us use air filters and these cars don't?  Yeah, that's it, HOW COME?

Those expensive race cars get their engines tworn down & rebuilt every few
races.  If you want to do it every few drives, please feel free to do so.  your
engine will stay in excellent condition as you run with open carbs.

A lot of people know I'm doing a frame off restoration of my TR3.  A lot of
people know my inital goal was to do an engine rebuild, clean up the engine
compartment & boot, rebuild the front steering and renew parts of the interior.
This project was started by my need to rebuild the engine.  And I thought while
I was doing that I might want to do a few other things to make it work better
and spruce it up a little.

What I have not mentioned is why I needed to rebuild the engine.  One of my air
cleaners went bad and I took the other off while waiting for new aircleaners to
come in.  While on a 200 mile-ish trip, I was hit with a dust storm.  I kept
going because there was no place to pull off the freeway & I needed to be
somewhere by a certain time.  After that trip, my #3 plug oil fouled every 50
miles.

I like air horns too.  And they are going on my DCOEs... inside an air cleaner.

I've learned my lesson.

~