runnins sans air filter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: runnins sans air filter
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 14:08:08 EDT
Fellow fiends:

Okay, next question:
I have for a long time admired the look of the XK engine with a row of Weber
carbs with shinny velocity stacks.  Likewise those V12 Ferrari engines with
the twin rows of air filter-less intake stacks, and coutless CanAm cars with
the maze of intake pipes sticking straight up out of the engine cowl.  Okay,
so how come those cars get by without an air filter?  How come little bits
of sand and grit and such don't get sucked in and gouge the heck out of the
cylander walls, rings, valves, seats, guides etc???  How come all the rest
of us use air filters and these cars don't?  Yeah, that's it, HOW COME?

It's like what the Moss MG catalog says about velocity stacks, "Guaranteed
to make your car *look* 5 mph faster!"

Will "Who cares about substance?  I'm going for appearance!" Zehring