Wayward Sports Car Centre stuff

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Wayward Sports Car Centre stuff
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 12:28:28 EST
I'm making fits of progress on the Zed in between Bugeye race prep, kids
birthdays, etc.  I rebuilt the master cylinder (the clutch half was sucking
air), and a then rear brake slave started leaking when refilled the system
(under no pressure!). Cleaned it up, back together, and bled the system. A
front started leaking. The car's way of saying:

    "Hey, I got you back from New Jersey, and did that auto-cross and
    rally, and now it's your turn! You *did* give me a new engine, but
    I want fresh brakes too!"

The slave kits should be here any day, along with a set of TR4 motor mounts.
When I put the engine in, one motor mount was already seperated, and the
other took no effort. The Magnette mounts are different than any other MG's,
but appear identical to TR4 (the round jobs).

The wiring on this car was very P.O.'ed. I've got the Steering
wheel/horn/turn signal assembly apart now (Similar to TR3 arrangement). The
bottom end of the "stator tube" (Steering column center tube that the wires
run down inside of, and holds the signal switch from turning.) had been
replaced with a hunk of cheap chromed plumbing, and spins at the joint,
which allows the switch to spin and break off the wires... I need to fab a
new hunk of 5/16" tubing that won't spin!

I finally hooked up the choke, so I can actually get in and start right up.
(Still need to get/make some thin air filters for the HS4's) That helps make
it a lot more drivable. Now I really gotta get seat belts installed, so the
kids can ride, which will make it usable daily. It may be that the tyres are
skinny bias plys, but I didn't really expect this saloon to squeal the tyres
on start off, especially with the 3.9 rear end!

----
My 2nd race will be July 1-3, at Shannonville, Ontario. I hope any SOLer's
will stop by and say hello to me and Tilly. Just look for the Blue #91
Bugeye. This event has a nice show on Sunday, with lots of Toronto area cars
showing up. (Plus a buck-a-lap in your own car during lunch break) My car's
about ready to go, with mostly only "standard" maintaince needed after
Mosport.

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"