More V8 tuning woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List),
Subject: More V8 tuning woes
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 15:36:36 +1000 (EST)
I have no idea what's going on.

  After a 2 day nap I fired the SD1 back to life again.  This time I
had the float breather pipes off so I could see which carb was
spewing fuel.  I looked and felt intently.  Nothing.  It ran and ran,
nothing.  Not a sausage.  It ran relatively smooth with partial choke
at 1000rpm.  Choke off it idled a bit low at 500rpm and sounding a bit
rougher, but no fuel spillage.  I'm perplexed.

I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens.  Looks like I'll
have to proceed with the dash removal, drive it and see what happens.
Obviously it can't be sunken floats.  Maybe something got into the
fuel balance pipe and wedged one of the needle and seats open.
This weekend I'll tune again it using Roger's technique.

1979 Rover SD1 3500 V8.  Twin SU HIF6s.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker