Re: bolt plating

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: bolt plating
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 08:33:13 -0500 (CDT)
T A Terry writes >

> Sharon Oblinger asked about the plating, or lack there on of her suspension
> bolts...I suspect what you have is "Black Oxide" plated bolts and these were
> used extensively by the British Car industry.  theTC had all the bolts and
> nuts Black Oxided ... any good plater can do black oxide but i would
> recommend that you ask for "Black Zinc" Plating.  this will look like the
> black oxide but last a lot longer in the undercar hostile enviorment.

The source I found locally for the l-o-n-g bolts in the front suspension
of my Europa was the Caterpillar heavy-equipment dealer.  The grade-8
bolts they sold me are dull black.  Since these were made for some
down-and-dirty uses, I expect it is the "Black Zinc" type.   I get a kick
out of showing my more techie friends the little Caterpillar logo on
the bolt heads.