RE: Another dreaded disease

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Another dreaded disease
From: Scott Currier <scurrier@RandomAccess.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 11:47:00 PDT

Ray asks:

>One option would be borrowing.  If you find a real gem, are
>there ways to finance it?  Home equity loans are obvious, but not everyone
>has a home or a large equity.  Are there other ways to finance a collector
>car?  Has anyone on the list tried going to the car loan department of his
>or her bank and asked for money to finance a 30 year old car?  After they
>finished laughing, what was the answer?

>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

When I purchased Lady Chatterly ('72 Silver Shadow) a few years back I
used the Collector Car Loan Company.  They specialize in ONLY collector
cars (albeit their name :-) I could look through my files at home if anyone
was interested in their phone number.

I was willing to spend the extra money (read: monthly payments) for the
roller
because the car was (apparently) in such great shape.  In all fairness
to the PO, I did not have to refinish the wood... but I found out that
getting
bondo off of an aluminum wing can get pretty ugly =8-O

Some of you may remember my recounting how to rebuild an SU with
a piece of cardboard and vice grips during a maiden voyage across
Kansas.  As it turned out, this was only the beginning of an intense
relationship that her engine and I got into over the next year and a half.

Of course the engine was nothing compared to rebuilding a brake system
that shared it's hydraulics with a self leveling suspension.  Of course
while
the brakes were out, those wheel covers were getting a bit tatty... but
we all know where that leads...   :-)

Scott (I'd probably do it all over again) Currier