Re: Improvements to an MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, gmapes@ball.com
Subject: Re: Improvements to an MGB
From: bownes@lucas.emi.com (R.M. Bownes III)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 17:09:54 +0500
->
->Can anyone shed some light on the following topics:
->   - replacing the Lucas alternator with an American manf. unit

Well, I replaced my lucas generator with a German alternator last
weekend...

Basically, I was gutting the electrical system anyway, but removing the
generator and alternator and replacing it with one of another
manufacture is not real hard, though one wonders why you would want to
do such a thing?

Anyway, find an alternator of suitable output and mounting
configuration (I used a Bosch from a VW rabbit), and hunt around for a
pully that will fit. I used a pully off of a Type II VW since it fit
and was the right offset. I bolted it up, wired up a sense light and
wired the charge light to the battery. Spun it up and it ran fine.

->   - using a 5 speed transmission from ?? car. what is involved, etc.
->   - replacing the SUs with fuel injection. Is this possible?
->

Can't help there.