Re: racing and diseases

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: racing and diseases
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 17:03:58 MDT
> From: sfisher@Corp.Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)

>   - Vintage racing.  In another list, I talk about the dichotomy
>     in motorsports: some people love cars and approach racing as
>     the ultimate expression of what cars can do, while others
>     love to compete and approach racing as a way of competing in
>     a high-thrills, high-stakes game that, almost coincidentally,
>     happens to use cars.  Vintage events are more tailored, by
>     their nature, to the first class of people, while the SCCA,
>     as a body dedicated to providing competitive motorsports for
>     amateur and professional drivers, is strongly aligned with
>     the latter.
Gee, Scott, San Francisco must be different than Denver.

That is how RMVR started out, but for the last several years a larger
percentage of the cars have been the 'cheap' MGBs, Spridgets,
Triumphs, Fiats and Alfas where the driver is vintage RACING instead
of VINTAGE racing.  Speeds are up. Competition is way up. The folks
with the expensive cars are staying home, except for the Steamboat
spectator weekend.  I would say, we are 90% of the way back to 1967
SCCA racing.  I am not totally pleased as a corner worker, as we have
been having an escalation in major incidents.

> Hell.  Did you ever fall so much in love with someone that it hurt
> to look at her, that life consisted of two phases -- being inside
> her, and screaming with frustration and rage at the time it took to
> get there again -- and did you have that love fall apart and rip
> you up when you saw her with someone else, and all the things you
> had, and did, and shared tore at you like acid in the eyes when you
> saw them?
Don't DO that!  I like my family.  I like my family.  Families and
racing are incompatible. (repeat mantra as necessary)

> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 10:10:35 -0700
> From: "TeriAnn Wakeman"  <twakeman@apple.com>
> Subject: Re: another dread disease

> her.  Not a rust spec left.  Everything new or like new.  I'm only
> about $10K poorer because I did most of the labour intensive work
> myself.  Had I spent an extra $4 to 5K back in '86 i could have
> purchased a very nice TR3 and have driven it the last 5 years.

Yeah, but what was the object of the exercise?  You could have bailed
out and bought a better one at any step of the project.  I just turned
down another Magnette which is in better condition, simply because we
have bonded now.  The happiest club members are the ones who did it
themselves, even though it didn't make sense. You just can't measure
the satisfaction gained by saving one, and seeing what it becomes.

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           83 VW GTI
    VXI Systems Division                      71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette