Re: Sunbeam GT

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam GT
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 15:40:59 EST
> If anyone has any production numbers on this car, I for one would be
>interested.
> I saw one for sale at Carlisle, PA back in May. It was grey, and it was a
> hatchback body style as opposed to an Alpine with a hardtop bolted on

That was a Sunbeam Herrington GT. It's been for sale for at least a year, and
someone mentioned that it's owned by "Tiger Tom", the guy that runs the
Tiger register and parts place. I think the asking was around $12-14K.

Tiger Tom's
15 Knight Road
Harrisburg, PA  17111
717-566-6813

About 14 years ago, Tilly and I went to Rochester, NY to check out an add
for a '69 (?) Alpine GT, which turned out to be a poor example of the
Chrysler concoction. Fairly ugly, squarish, hatchback, but with the 1725
Alpine engine. The interior had some Rootes trim style, like fake wood in the
dash and stuff. The car was pretty beat inside and out. I think this car may
have also been sold in the US as a Plymouth Bee or Arrow or something.

Well, we took it for a spin around the block just the same, and spotted a
Teal Blue MGB GT on a lawn with a for sale sign on it. We took the Alpine
back, and went and checked out the MG. It needed some work, but ran OK, and
we bought it. That was Tilly's first car...

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!