TR4 Problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Problems
From: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 14:14:04 -0700
A couple of times now the usually trusty TR4 has died on me.  The first
time required a AAA tow home off I-80 ($110 ouch!), the second a tow home a
mile or two behind the SO's Mazda.
I'll describe the second time:

Car was running very smoothly when I set off, I had just cleaned the plugs,
checked timing, new points, new condensor and cleaned the carbs. After a
few minutes driving a misfire developed and the car started running
rougher. As I turned back to head for home the engine died and would not
restart.

Roadside check confirmed that:

Both carb fuel reservoirs were full and the pump was pumping fine.
The low tension side of the ignition all checked out o.k.
Spinning engine and looking for a spark on one of the (removed) plugs was
inconclusive. Saw a yellow spark but it looked a bit feeble.
All the HT leads are in good condition as are the rotor arm and dizzy cap.

So is it the coil? Do they fail when they warm up. (Why is it strapped next
to  a hot engine block anyway!?). I changed the coil for the spare in the
boot after the first breakdown. Maybe the PO had left this one in the boot
when it failed on him!!

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Phil Searle
Davis CA
'63 Triumph TR4 O/D

Philip A. Searle                                    pasearle@ucdavis.edu
Chemistry Department
University of California                            (916) 752-7678
Davis, California 95616.