Rebuilt distributor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (digest)
Subject: Rebuilt distributor
From: Curt Onstott <fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 01:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
After pulling my 70 Midgets distributor to check the points, I discovered
that it was "past tense."  I took a 1 hour drive to a parts supplier and
picked up a rebuilt unit.  I spent about an hour trying to get the thing
to slip into place and found that it would only go into position when I
turned the rotor 180 degrees out of time.  I examined it very carefully
and found that the drive do had been installed 180 degrees off.

I hate it when that happens......

Now that I have got the ignition system working right, I went to adjust
the carburators.  I pulled the pistons out to level out the jets and
found that one needle had worked loose from its collar and that a choke
connector had disconected itself.  Fixed these cretinisms.  Completely
backed off throttle screws and put them both 1.5 turns in.  Start car.
Idle is at 3000 rpm.  Completely back off both throttle screws.  Idle
speed drops to 2000 rpm.  Front carb is responsable for this...  (No hiss
in rear carb with throttle closed.)  Check throttle shafts for leaks.
Nothing.  I pull the piston and suction chamber again and discover the
"Over-run valve" in the butterfly.  This has got to be the culprit.  Is
it possible to replace the butterfly with one that doesn't have the valve?

I love emission control systems that cause more pollution when they
break..  I wonder how many people are driving around with their automatic
chokes stuck in the "On" position.......

Later-