Dip Stick

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Dip Stick
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 16:49:46 +0000 ()
Well, I'm a bit younger than Ray, so I'll take the bait.
Besides, I have a 1500 in a Spit that had the same problem.
(same motor)

By the tone of your note I'd say you're in desperate need of releaving
the pressure in your crankcase.  My Spitfire developed this, at first
just a dribble when idling beside an MGB. Then , one day while parked
beside an Aston Martin it soaked itself right through.

Fathers of my dates started complaining about the puddles they were
finding were I'd been parking too. Very bad form !

Your charcoal cannister may be plugged or you may have a bunged up PCV
valve, if you have one on a '79. (you must I'd guess)

 What ever the cause you need a
good vacuum on the hose coming off the valve cover, to draw on the
cover  and vent the block. This  vacuum comes off the carbs or manifold
usually, though some cars take it off an EGR valve on the exhaust too.

You should also have a cork gasket on the dip stick cover to help the
seal a bit. DON'T bang a plug in the dip access. The pressure has to get
out and the dribble is trying to tell you that attention is needed. If
you don't fix the problem it will come it in other ways, such as
blindness or warts on the palms of your hands !

Dont worry about the size of the dipstick. Some folks have Cadillacs and
still can't drive worth a damn.

Chris Ball
triumph@io.org