Re: HIF44's (AKA HIF6's)

To: Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: HIF44's (AKA HIF6's)
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 22:42:31 -0400 (EDT)

> > In my book, nothing beats a pair of HIF44's
> > (formerly called HIF6) on a street B.
>
> Okay, but what makes the HIF44 or HIF6 or whatever so
> good?  Why is it better than a HS6 or HD6?  I'm not

 According to David Vizard's "Tuning BL's A-Series Engine", the HIF carbs flow
better. Specificly, he lists 240 cfm for a HIF6, 210 cfm for a HS6.

 A major complaint with H, HD, and HS carbs is worn throttle shafts, carb
bodies, and butterflies. This wear is mostly caused by the linear external
throttle spring inducing a linear load in one (sometimes two) plane. The
HIF series uses throttle shaft bushings, shaft seals so that a little wear
isn't as critical, and radial throttle springs to remove the wear causing
linear thrust.

 I find the choke system more tractable.

 The fuel temp compensator helps eliminate surging, stalling, and general
crappy runnning when stuck in traffic on a hot day. (not that it mattered,
I never ran a cooling fan on my B's)

> Then, assuming that they are indeed superior, what
> types of cars, if any, came with these carbs.  (Real
> Question:  can I find used ones, and where or from
> what type of donor vehicle?)

A few early 70's Volvos (71?), Austin Marinas, and half a zillion cars never
imported to the states. I used ones from the Marina. This required fabricating
Throttle shafts and linkage, and a weird twin-pull choke like a Triumph. The
Marina only had one carb, so using two did not get you the desirable
mirror image carb bodies. I also had to do some tinkering with needles. But
then, that motor wasn't quite stock, either.

 Right after this mod was done, the old HIF4's found their way onto my Mini.
Worked quite well. After I sold the car, it spent a few years vintage racing
in this format. (James, ever meet the Bill Thummel / Phase One Minis? One of
them was my old street car)

> Dave L.     --    HEALEY@OAKHILL.mot.sps.com

   Randy
     randy@infi.net