Re: Randy Wilsons Love for HIF44s

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Randy Wilsons Love for HIF44s
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 18:54:36 -0400 (EDT)

> I have found the HIF carbs to be "bonus-carbs" on Minis, the temp correctiuon
> on the jet and the sprung needle are + points but the sprung needle carves up
> the jet (15-20k repacelment interval?).

True. But... this is not a HIF only trait. Later HS's used the same "biased"
needle. It does avoid the problem of base jet centering.

> The 44 or 6 designation refers to the width of the throttle opening so a HIF6
> would look on the outside like a HIF44 but it would have a wider bore
> (therefore more airflow) (number is part of a fraction).

Uh, I seen to have confused some by refering to the new SU designations.
The 44 and 6 flow the same, they are the same carb. Do not confuse the 44
with the 4. HIF4 = 1.5". HIF6 = 1.75" = 44mm = HIF44

> Problem with the HIFs (maybe just on a mini) is vapour lock as the float
> chamber is "nearer" to the exhaust than on Hs and HSs...

Hmmm, I seem to remember having base jet clearance problems when I was
running HS4's on my mini. Problems as in I kept snapping the things off
on the firewall when the engine rocked back from a hard launch. HIF's
cleared everything fine.

> scenario slow moving traffic....petrol vapourises, clog (hammer) down when
> it clears and the colder fuel fools the jet adjuster and you get a blast
> of high temp vapour....Gary Gabelich (sp.) eat your heart out.

Can't say on this. By the time my mini got the HIFs, it was used almost
soley for autocrossing. My B did not do this, and the temp variations in
that engine compartment had to be fearsome. After destroying two radiators
by having the fan hit them (again, autocrossing), I quit running a fan.
No more shreaded radiators. No more cruising Atlantic Ave. :>

   Randy
     randy@taylor.infi.net