RE: TRx External Oil Feed

To: rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com
Subject: RE: TRx External Oil Feed
From: blaced@CHMA.CIBA.COM (D. Lacey)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 94 08:29:13 +0200
>If your valve guides are worn, this might in fact reduce your oil
>consumption.
>In either case, I suggest that you
>refit the external oil feed.

I disagree that valve guide wear is the cause because the oil consumption is
just too high. I last had the head off 5000 miles ago, when I felt that the
guide wear was OK--probably lessened by all the extra oil.

The emission valve itself would normally be filled with hot engine oil, since
removing the modification this is now clean. All blue exhaust smoke has
disappeared and so has the pre ignition ( I havent checked the oil consumption
yet.)

A recent phone call to Cox+Buckles/Moss/Triumphtune in the UK who supply the
kit reveals they know of this problem and they no longer fit this part to
4 cylinder TRs  (they do on the 6cyls as wear on front rockers is so bad).
I Have spent 2 years trying to identify causes of pre-ignition and oil burning
and removing this mod has cured both, there is no question in my mind that it
was the cause. As for accelerated head wear, thats part of the charm of these
things.

Dave Lacey.

Another Question:

Has anybody any information about rear stub axle failures or trailing arm
failures on the Independent Rear suspension TRs?