Triumph Value

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph Value
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 08:40:58 PDT
Bob Lang says:
<...if/when I look at getting another TR, I'm going to try to deal with
folks from drier climes.  A friend has a TR6 that really is from Texas,
and it is almost scary how rust-free the car is.  But, as another SOLer
told me this year: just because you buy the car in a dry-ish place does
not mean that it was from there originally.  Hi George!>

The rest of that story, for what it's worth:  I bought my TR4A in
Thousand Oaks, CA.  It looked very straight and solid and, from the
top, it was and still is.  However, the frame is badly rotted (although
the rear suspension has not broken away yet - I have been expecting
that to happen for the last 2-3 years...)

Apparently the car lived in Boston and somewhere in Colorado before
it got to Southern California.  Once there, all the fenders and one door
were replaced with good used So. Cal. parts, but the frame continued
to rot away.  I don't trust the car's structural integrity but there is good
news: I bought a very good frame recently and this fall the restoration
begins.  Everything will be rebuilt or replaced, giving the TR4A a whole
new life and many more years of driving satisfaction for me.

Incidentally,  I drove the Triumph from California to Rochester, NY in
1985 -2850 miles in 5 1/2 days - so we're no strangers to the road!

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive