Re: break pipes for the B

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: break pipes for the B
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 94 13:43:10 -0700
In message <9406291755.AA28726@csx2282.cdc.hp.com> Roland Dudley writes:

> Are snakes an aberration or what?  I was able to find brake pipe in
> varying lengths at several local auto parts stores.  These "standard"
> lengths came with male fittings on both ends that were IDENTICAL to
> the male fittings on the old lines.  Since I've owned this car since
> 1966 I'm quite sure these fittings were original from the factory.  The
> only fittings I was unable to find were of the female variety.
>
> BTW, I replaced all of the flexible lines with Aeroquip.
>
> Roland

Roland,

The standard US fittings are short and the male fittings have threads all the
way to the tip.  The ones used in the UK in the sixties are longer.  The male
fitting does not have threads on the front quarter inch or so.  I think this is
to help line up the fittings before the thread is engaged.  The UK female
fitting is deeper because of this.  The US male thread crewed in all the way
does not allow the flange to fit.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561