Bugeye tire sizes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye tire sizes
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 09:11:44 EST
I suppose this is a FAQ but in the six months I have been following the
list I haven't seen the answer.  I am actually quite close to getting
tires for the Bugeye and am wondering about the net.wisdom on the subject
of sizes and types.  Original tires were Dunlop 5.20x13 white walls (!);
currently on the eight shod wheels are all manner and sizes of mostly
bald/rotted carcasses.

The car is mostly restored so I'm after something close to original in
size.  No modifications to body allowed and I'm using the stock steel
wheels (3.5" rims I think).  They can be more "performance oriented" than
a standard tire but it seems like the more performance tires are wider
than I can use.

BTW, a recent vacation trip through the northeast provided the car with
her name.  We visited "Plimouth Plantation", a recreation of the Plymouth
colony and I had the unique opportunity to talk to my great-great-(seven
more greats) grandmother Bridget Fuller.  It's a rather tenuous link with
the homeland but I tried her name on the car when I returned and she
smiled.  So Bridget it is.  ( I also talked with Great-...-grandfather
John Billington - I didn't have the heart to tell him he would be hung
for murder in 5 years - there are often skeletons under geneological
rocks)

One more LBC related note.  We were driving towards the campground in
Wells Maine the next day and drove past the little "Wells Auto Museum".
"Hey", my wife says, "There's a Bugeye in the window!"  Sure enough.  A
lifelike diorama featuring a red bugeye with  a caricature of "us"
sitting in the cockpit.  The car had a  glass bonnet but looked nice
enough.  We were in too late and out too early to visit though.

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591