Re: Northwest Import Parts

To: peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu
Subject: Re: Northwest Import Parts
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 08:00:38 PDT
John Peloquin asks:
<Have any of you used Northwest Import Parts in Portland, OR?
I don't want to have a "Scarbourough Faire ... Experience".>

My only negative experience with N.I.P. was largely my fault.  I bought their
cheaper wheel cylinders for the front of my MGA.  They are not made by
Lockheed.  Both the cylinder and piston are steel. They had no outer seal
to keep moisture and contamination out.  Four years later 3 of 4 cylinders
had rusted up and would not respond to hydraulic pressure.  For an
additional $7 each I replaced them with Moss-supplied Lockheed cylinders
which have outer seals and aluminum pistons.  I should have notified
Northwest of the cylinder differences and resulting problems; they might
have stopped selling them.  I'm quite sure Scarborough-Faire, which sells
cylinders of the same design, could care less.

I'm not unhappy with Northwest Import.  The lesson for me was to buy
original equipment brake components, especially on a $12K restoration!

George - Older and Wiser - Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive