bumper repair

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: bumper repair
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 09:36:29 EDT
I guess I should have included this in my posting on tools,
especially since it was also Curt Onstott who asked about repairing
chrome bumpers. Oh well.

Curt, you can't just fill the dents with lead and have it rechromed.
The bumper must first be DEchromed, ie all plating removed, before
you can repair any dents or pits. Pits can then be sandblasted clean
and filled (not with lead) and dents removed. Sometimes this is done
with a press, sometimes heat is needed. In all cases it is cheaper
in the long run, and the results are better if you let a high quality
plating shop do the work for you. Choose one that speciallizes in "Show
Chrome". You may find this route a bit on the pricey side, so check out
the price of a new bumper. It may be less than having your old one
repaired and replated.

Good luck
Rik Schlierer