Re: Bumper Repair

To: fungus@csos.orst.edu
Subject: Re: Bumper Repair
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 06 Jul 1994 12:05:12 -0500 (EST)
Curt (and others),

Dents and pits can be repaired by any competent chrome shop. Don't use lead
to fill the dings. The good guys will beat the dents out and then use one or
more dips in the copper tank to get everything smooth. If the pitting is
really bad (and there is really no way to tell 'till they strip off the
chrome that is there) then they may have to weld/grind/dip/buff to get it
right.

This kind of work is labor intensive, so it's gonna cost. But, most shops will
stick to their original estimates. Get the cost estimate in writing, just in
case.

My comments about rechroming are this: if the piece is structurally sound,
go for the re-chrome. If the part is bent/twisted or otherwise not straight,
get an estimate anyway. A lot of the "new" repro stuff is junk, and not
really worth the money unless you are totally sure there is no other solution.
I saw a repro TR6 bumper a couple of weeks ago that was pretty bad. I mean
the surface was wavey, and chrome reflects a lot so the imperfections are
obvious even to an untrained eye. This TR6 bumper was a joke, pure and simple.
But the guy wanted "new", and he got it.

Anyway, that's what I think about re-chrome.

rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |