Re: Forwarded: Kit car...is anyone interested

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, montanaro@ausable.crd.ge.com
Subject: Re: Forwarded: Kit car...is anyone interested
From: jamesa@dougal.logica.co.uk (James Arnold)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 16:25:08 GMT
>   In my driveway is what I was told was an Arkley (sp?) kit car modelled
>   on an MG.  The pink slip says that it is a '63 MG.  The hood and rear
>   are fiberglass I think.  It is not complete or drivable, but rolls.
>   Needs attention or to be parted out.  Anyone interested, or have any knowled
ge
>   of such a vehicle?

>   There is something of a motor under the hood.

>   This is in Berkeley, California.

It is a sort of kit car. They were sold by a UK company and were a kind of body
replacement for MG Midgets.  They kept the floor pan, sills, doors and
basic structural bits of the Midget and bolted (bonded?) new wings (front and
rear),  bonnet (hood), and tail (with no boot at all) onto it.  I think the
reason was reduced weight, improved looks (although not in my opinion) and the
removeal of rusty panels (although the sills/floor etc needed to be OK).

The car looks a bit like a Noddy Car (did the cartoon Noddy get to the US?)
with front wings over the wheels separate to the bonnet (hood).

I've no idea how many were made or what countries they went to. I can't
remember whether they were sold pre-converted or as kits. Here in the
UK I see them up for sale maybe once a year, so there must be a few about (or
one that no one wants).

If your really interested I could scan a picture of one.
James.